Philip Keshiro, DRI Nigeria
To view this article in its original location, please click here.
I would have commented on the Malaysian Air Incident but for the fact that my mother died during this period and was buried on the 11th April 2014. The various activities relating to the burial were too much for me to sit and write.
The recent Nyanya bomb blast is another tragedy with no answer and most of the things I have been reading or commentaries on TV are not the solution.
What then is the solution?
It is unfortunate that when you want to hide a secret from people in our race, just put it in the book. This is with a lot of apology.
Issues of Security and Emergencies should be handled bottom up, not top down approach. A top down approach breeds passivity, lack of coordination, and makes mockery of our nation.
Please in your mind kindly compare what occur in Boston last year with what happened in Nyanya.
|We are yet to identify those that drove the car and ran away as reported||Within 24 hours the identity of the culprits were known and broadcasted – No sentiment|
|All agencies worked together without any statement such as ;we are on red alert etc||We witnessed actions televised live.|
|No periodic update to members of the public – No concrete information yet||There was periodic information, with the US President categorically saying, we will get ‘you’.|
|This may be the end of the investigation as the Kano case.||The terrorists were caught with one dead and another injured within a week of the incident|
What is the difference between security personnel abroad and ours?
– They have data gathering capability (even on the spot)
– Trained to focus first on issues of life (Human Life comes first)
– Well trained to read and analyze situation
– Aware of new technology or trends
The Nigerian DRAFT Pandemic Response Plan categorically states the following as shown below, breaking down how the nation should plan for pandemic related disasters, however, IT IS THE SAME PRINCIPLE FOR TERRORISM;
- 1. National Government Planning & Coordination
- Government is committed to multisectoral pandemic preparedness
- Federal government assures continuity of essential services
- Criteria:Essential service role and responsibilities identified
Promotes Business Continuity Planning
Provides basic planning assumptions
- 2. All sub-national government levels involved
- Whether States and FCT level have multisectoral preparedness and response plan and operationalised. Including Local Governments
- 3. Whole of society planning ie Civil Society, INGO and IGOs, Private Sector, Vulnerable groups.
- All the above must have Preparedness and response structures to protect vulnerable groups …
- 4. Sectoral planning and Continuity of Essential Services
- These are listed as:
- Health – Whether sector has response and business continuity plan that has been tested
- Food – Whether sector has response and business continuity plan that has been tested
- Water & Sanitation ( Portable water sewage & waste management) – Whether sector has response and business continuity plan that has been tested
- Energy Sector – Whether sector has response and business continuity plan that has been tested
- Public Security and Order – Whether sector has response and business continuity plan that has been tested
- Finance – Whether sector has response and business continuity plan that has been tested
- Telecommunications – Whether sector has response and business continuity plan that has been tested
- Transport – Whether sector has response and business continuity plan that has been tested
- Key Sector actors (public & private) are identifies and have been encouraged to plan
- Guidance for key actors in sector is available
- Hazard & Risk analysis has been completed for the sector.
- These are listed as:
All ministries, agencies, and infrastructures i.e NYANYA Park and others should have a BCP plan in place.
Why this write up.
The Pandemic plan was co-authored by the USAID and other US related agencies, if they can slot in BUSINESS CONTINUITY PLANNING as the BASIS for managing disasters why are we not looking in this direction to solve our problems. A large number of our top and middle level government officials do not know anything about this subject matter.
A Business Continuity plan will have helped to mitigate this NYANYA Park disaster in the following ways;
A Risk assessment – will have brought out through imagination, foresight, and prior incidents that the park is vulnerable. Control measures to mitigate will be the following;
- Separate Passenger drive in from the Bus Parks – Let the passengers walk with their load or with trolleys.
- Have in place CCTV to capture movement of passengers and ongoing activities within.
- Restructure the market to meet the 1st condition if possible.
The effect is that, should there be an incident or a bomb blast, the POLICE, SSS and other agencies will have some form of intelligence to work with. Without this, we are laughing stock in the comity of advanced nations.
The steps within the BCP are:
The Ten Professional Practices are as follows:
1. Program Initiation and Management
2. Risk Evaluation and Control
3. Business Impact Analysis
4. Developing Business Continuity Strategies
5. Emergency Preparedness and Response
6. Developing and Implementing Business Continuity Plans
7. Awareness and Training Programs
8. Business Continuity Plan Exercise, Audit, and Maintenance
9. Crisis Communications
10. Coordination with External Agencies
The security agencies should start to have appetite and understand what business continuity planning is all about and how to use it to reduce to the barest minimum this incident of mass killing.
The words we hear such as ‘Citizens should go about their normal duty as the government or Police…’. These words are not inspiring, not soothing, they are reactive, not proactive. We should not be counting casualties in hundreds and thousands, not to talk of one life. The answer lies within the government archive and in possession of some of us reading this write-up.
Reacting after each blast is wickedness, mental laziness, a lack of ability to work, and lack of love for human lives.
Please check the Nigerian Pandemic Response Plan.
I will explain more and break down the components of BCP if required.
You can ask for an extract of areas quoted above if interested.